♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪... .♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸.•*¨*•♫♪ ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪... .♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸.•*¨*•♫♪


♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪... .♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸.•*¨*•♫♪
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪... .♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸.•*¨*•♫♪ ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪... .♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸.•*¨*•♫♪ ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪... .♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸.•*¨*•♫♪ ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪... .♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸.•*¨*•♫♪ ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪... .♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸.•*¨*•♫♪ ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪... .♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸.•*¨*•♫♪ ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪... .♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸.•*¨*•♫♪ ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪... .♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸.•*¨*•♫♪ ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪... .♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸.•*¨*•♫♪

Monday, April 4, 2011

A River Tale

When I was about 8 or 9 years old my grandfather's Kaiser rolled into the Ohio river.

My brother, sister and I were staying with them for a couple of days while my parents went to Chicago to take in a few shows and have some leisure time.  The town I lived in, and do live again, sits right smack dab on the Ohio river. I was born here and didn't leave until I was 15.  We spent a lot of time at the river. I learned to swim in the river and we spent time with parents on boats.

My grandparents house was just up the path and there we found ourselves at the river bank. My brother had gone down there just before dinner. He was called several times to come and eat and he didn't come, and he didn't answer. So my grandfather decided to drive down there. I went with him.  I was seated in the passenger side with one of my dolls. We were both in the car and looked and looked.  But, we didn't see him. My grandfather parked on a sloped area that went right into the river.  It was used to launch boats. He got out and told me to stay there.  I did sit there for awhile and watched as he looked.  He was standing beside the car in the back and I decided to get out (even though I was disobeying). I went over to stand beside him and suddenly I see his car moving ever so slowly into the river.  I kept looking at him.  He just stood there.  I said "Pop"!! Isn't that your car?"  He said yes and into the river it went.  I ran to my grandmother's house to tell her so that she could call someone and then I went back.  All of this time my brother never did show up.  I know I was concerned about him and now as a grandparent myself, I can imagine that my grandfather was practically beside himself with worry.

Anyway in this very small town the word got out quickly and everybody in town was down at the river.  The local headlines were:

The editor wrote "In a few moments, the attorney was surrounded by sympathetic citizens, and shortly thereafter the word was spread throughout the village that "Hamilton drove into the river" "Elizabeth fell into the river" "Hamilton fell into the river" "J.Ham fell into the river" "Elizabeth was in Hamilton's automobile when it went into the river" And so, the Ohio Theatre played to an empty house."

During all of this hullabaloo my brother appears with his friend.  Just staring and wondering what was going on.  He asked me and I said "Boy, are you in TROUBLE"!!! From then on there were many men working for hours to get that Kaiser out of the river.  We were all thankful that my brother hadn't drowned, but he did get in trouble.  The article ended this way:

I remember it like it happened to me yesterday.  Every day when I take my walk to the river I remember that day.  What possessed me to get out of the car I'll never know because I wasn't a child to disobey, especially when the parent or grandparent was right there with me. But I'm glad I did...

My grandfather bought a new Oldsmobile after that.  It was a neat car.

10 comments:

  1. What a tale! I enjoyed that.
    It is strange that he parked on a slipway though.
    As you like 'dogs and music'; Deb, one of my followers has just posted this up :-

    http://harmonyclubwaltz.blogspot.com/2011/04/in-fairness-to-all-pianists.html

    A budding canine opera singer perhaps? (or not)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was funny but it could have been tragic. I'm so glad everything worked out okay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Bernard..I thought it was a very unwise thing to do too. To park on that incline. But I think my grandfather was so worried that my brother had drowned that he wasn't thinking straight. I will check out the blogspot you recommend.

    @ Donnie..It was funny and is funny now. But I do get a sinking feeling when I think about my grandfather that day. He must have been thinking that he was so foolish to have parked the way he did, leave me in the car and have allowed my brother to leave earlier in the day. Even though that isn't strange. Our town was so small and still is that children just go as they please.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great story! Gives me the heebie jeebies, though to think that you had only just gotten out of it. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny story! I'm so glad you got out of the car when you did. And I love how your brother just showed up out of the blue...grandparents are special people :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Rae. When I think about it I get the heebie jeebies. I can't imagine how I would have gotten out of the car. Maybe I would have jumped out before it hit the water. There were no seat belts then. Well, no matter. It didn't happen.

    @drybottomgirl. My brother was there at the river in an area all filled with trees. I saw him walk up and he had this dumb look on his face trying to figure out what was going on. He's never lived this down..

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a story!! It was a good thing you disobeyed and got out of that car! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a tragedy to lose that gorgeous Kaiser to the river but I'm sure everyone involved was relieved to be alive and unhurt after all! This story could be a scene from a movie, really!
    By the way, I featured your blog as one of my 3 newest friends/followers on my THANKFUL FUR 3 FRIENDS THURSDAY BLOG HOP! Hope you receive more followers because of the blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ***Waving Paws in Air***
    Happy Thursday! Just stopping by via The Teacher's Pet Blog to say hello. We are your newest followers. Please stop by and visit us, too - we would love it if you would follow us back.
    Have a fun weekend.
    Little Janie Pug

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! That's quite a story! I'm glad everything turned out OK. A new Olds for grandpa was nice :-)

    ReplyDelete