♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪... .♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸.•*¨*•♫♪ ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪... .♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸.•*¨*•♫♪


♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪... .♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸.•*¨*•♫♪
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪... .♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸.•*¨*•♫♪ ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪... .♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸.•*¨*•♫♪ ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪... .♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸.•*¨*•♫♪ ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪... .♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸.•*¨*•♫♪ ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪... .♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸.•*¨*•♫♪ ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪... .♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸.•*¨*•♫♪ ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪... .♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸.•*¨*•♫♪ ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪... .♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸.•*¨*•♫♪ ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪... .♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸.•*¨*•♫♪

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Munich, Germany... August 1961..

I was digging through more letters sent to my parents.  This time when I was on the USO tour in Germany. We always stayed in American army hotels and were driven around in army buses. There was a couple of times that we stayed in a local bed and breakfast type place. It had goose down pillows and mattresses.  We literally got lost in that bed. Also a couple of times we stayed in a Hostel. That's another experience to relate at another time.

Anyway while staying in one hotel I was  asked to translate a letter written in Italian. Before this USO tour was the time I spent in Italy, so I could speak Italian pretty well by that time.  My letter reads " I had just come back from the PX with Lucy and washed my hair and clothes and face.Phone rang. It was the army. A boy from upstairs who works in the radio and is in the army called me to translate a letter that the Army Hotel had received from Italy.  It was unsigned and concerned a man who used to work here whose name is Vittorio di Cesare.  They said that he had taken linens and typewriters belonging to the hotel. They gave the address of where he could be found and also stated that he and some German were going to blow up the hotel. Oh, they had the captain and everyone there.  However, he didn't seem concerned. It was interesting though"

That's all I said on the subject in that letter.  So I thought maybe it really was nothing.  However, later in the day I remember they did evacuate the hotel.  There was no bomb found, but I guess the captain was concerned.

This was in Munich, Germany that this happened.  We also went to the Haufbrauhaus in Munich and had a terrific time. We climbed a very long and wide set of stairs in order to get inside. It's just a huge room with long tables.  Huge steins of beer.  Lots of dancing. We did a lot of dancing, polka (of course) and when we had finished our beer, we found it a little more difficult to get back down that set of stairs. Here we are below enjoying ourselves immensely..


I'm the blonde seated on the left.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing these memories, the letters and photos are priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an exciting time you had! I LOVE your cardinal. They are not super common in Maine. We have one male that visits. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so interesting to read. Your letters are like a diary and I know you're glad they kept them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great story! Sure looks like you guys were having a fabulous time in that photo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You blond bombshell you! What a fun looking bunch you all were. I love when you share these memories. You have lived such a fascinating life. My oldest wants to spend a month in Italy between his jr. and sr. year of high school. My hubby and I hope to get him there, as we would like him to have opportunities that we never did. Thank you again for sharing a peak into your past.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing one of your blasts from the past! :-)

    Take care and have a nice day :-)

    ~Ron
    *******

    ReplyDelete