Since I returned to this small town where I was born and grew up, I also returned to the small Presbyterian church that has stained glass windows in it in memory of my family members. They had nobody to play piano, organ or to be the music director. So, I've been doing it every Sunday for several years now. However, today, I'm not playing. I asked one of my former students if he would take over for me the month of January and February so that I don't feel the "pressure" to go. I'm not going this morning. However, I did go last Sunday and was told by the minister that it seemed "very strange to see me sitting out front instead of behind the piano".
We have a beautiful pipe organ. It isn't very big and has been in the church since the 1940's. I'm not really an organist. I did study for about a year. I've played piano as long as I can remember, so I prefer to play the piano. When I play the organ I have to really concentrate on everything I am doing, whereas when I play the piano I can look up, see who just came in, sing along with the hymns and frankly enjoy myself much more. My mother did play the organ. She was a wonderful pianist too, but every Sunday she did only play the organ. (The very same one). I sang many solos, from the age of 5 on up.
We moved from this town when I was 15. To another state. I graduated high school from our new home, went to Italy to study voice and Italian, received a scholarship to a school back in the states and went on to graduate from that school. That's when I found out that a church, synagogue..etc. will pay you to sing. I couldn't believe it! Money to sing?? It never crossed my mind that one would be paid to sing and play in church. But, believe me, if it hadn't been for that $15.00 a week (back in the 60's) I wouldn't have eaten much. Let's see it was one meal a day. Either Burger King for the Whopper, fries and shake..or the local drug store for a "HUGE" bowl of chili, crackers and a big glass of iced tea.. 65 cents a day. YUM! Those were the days.
Well, as I began this blog this morning, I am brought back to remembering how I started it. I didn't play today. I am NOT receiving money for this "gig". They are struggling and besides, I wouldn't take money for this church. My family has been sitting in the pews for at least 75 years.
I will be back on board in March. Get the choir and some soloists ready for Easter. We are small in number but have some very good musicians from whom I can draw.
My Emma is sound asleep. I was asked about her mix. I'm sure she is Border Collie and can't decide if she is part Husky or Rottweiler. She has a broad head and eyes like either one. She's sweet, smart, and I love her!!!
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪... .♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸.•*¨*•♫♪ ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪... .♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸.•*¨*•♫♪
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪... .♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸.•*¨*•♫♪ ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪... .♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸.•*¨*•♫♪ ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪... .♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸.•*¨*•♫♪ ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪... .♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸.•*¨*•♫♪ ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪... .♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸.•*¨*•♫♪ ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪... .♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸.•*¨*•♫♪ ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪... .♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸.•*¨*•♫♪ ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪... .♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸.•*¨*•♫♪ ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪... .♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸.•*¨*•♫♪ ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪... .♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I always think that when you ask someone else to do something, like play the organ at church, you are giving them the opportunity to expand their horizons. Some times that's the only way people discover their own talent. That is wonderful that you are back in familiar places. Have a wonderful day.
ReplyDeleteGood to take a break so we can off our gifts up without burden or expectation. Looks like Emma is having a great time in the snow! I love her name....
ReplyDelete